Apple wants to introduce new emojis to better represent people with disabilities.
It submitted its proposal to the Unicode Consortium, the organisation which reviews requests for new emoji characters.
In its submission Apple said: “Currently, emoji provide a wide range of options, but may not represent the experiences of those with disabilities.
This will help fill a significant gap and provide more inclusive experience for all.
It’s made 13 suggestions of emojis to introduce include;
- A guide dog
- A man and woman walking with a cane
- A man and woman signing that they are deaf
- An ear with a hearing aid
- A man and woman in both mechanical and manual wheelchairs
- A service dog (a trained dog that helps those with hidden disabilities)
- A prosthetic arm
- A prosthetic leg